A born leader, we are here for her lasting legacy.
Barbara Jordan remains a remarkable inspiration to America and the world. When she died in 1996, she left a vision of America as a nation that stands for children, for justice, and for freedom. She knew that our future depends upon all children having the opportunity to learn, to work, and to succeed. She believed that just as our nation had abolished slavery and segregation, we could overcome the pockets of injustice that still exist in education, employment, health care, and the justice system. She recognized that freedom is not the privilege of the few but the right of everyone.
The Barbara Jordan Freedom Foundation launched as a 501(c)(3) organization February 21, 2011, on what would have been her 75th birthday. The Founding Trustees have embraced Ms. Jordan’s optimistic vision for the future and established the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
“Barbara is an American icon. Her words are more relevant now than ever.”Sam BryantBoard of Trustees, Bryant Wealth Investment Group, LLC Austin, Texas
Welcome to the life and times of Barbara Jordan
The Foundation's mission is to further Barbara Jordan's legacy
The Barbara Jordan Freedom Foundation embodies the qualities of its namesake:
- Courage. Standing up for what is right, without shrinking from controversy.
- Autonomy. Steering an independent course, without regard to political party affiliation or ideology.
- Ethics. Acting in accordance with the law and the highest moral principles.
- Reason. Basing discussion and decisions on rational thinking, free of bias, stereotypes, and rashness.
- Compassion. Caring deeply about the problems and suffering of others.
- Accountability. Accepting responsibility for ourselves as individuals and for the common good.
- Leadership. Providing a vision of the future.
Change may occur through many means, including community projects that address a specific injustice, media coverage that arouses public action, proposals for new and enlightened public policies, and collaboration with related organizations working on the same issues.
The goal is a national community that ensures freedom for all Americans.